[mapserver-users] Is using ECW format allowed or not?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Feb 26 00:59:19 EST 2009

Hi,

One comment about gdal JP2ECW driver.  It has some bug and gives out a lossy image from a lossless original, at least if the original has been compressed with Kakadu.  Difference in image quality is not great and the bug is not serious in normal browsing but it is worth knowing if planning to deliver imagery through Mapserver WCS.  Gdal JP2KAK and JP2MrSID drivers works OK with lossless images as well.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

John Mitchell wrote:

Does a JPEG2000 created by ER Mapper/ECW  also require licensing like an ECW
format file when used by MapServer?

Thanks,

John

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Gregor Mosheh <gregor at hostgis.com> wrote:

> 1. Can we use our compressed ECW images as input for MapServer WMS?
>> 2. Can we use ECW as an output format for MapServer WCS?
>>

> The license agreement says that the ECW SDK cannot be used "on a server"
> then goes on to define that as a computer connected to the Internet which
> provides images. I'd say that clearly rules out MapServer consuming ECW.
> Very unfortunate, but in my opinion very clear.
>
> In my tests, I have found that JPEG2000 and ECW are really too slow for
> production use anyway. Maybe that's some "sour grapes" consolation? :)
>
>  --
> Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth    BS, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
> System Administrator, Lead Programmer
> HostGIS development & hosting services, http://www.HostGIS.com/
>
> "Remember that no one cares if you can back up,
>  only if you can restore." - AMANDA

John J. Mitchell