[mapserver-users] Color palette for road-like layers

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Tue Jan 6 02:33:47 EST 2009

Happy new year everyone!

I need your help with the aesthetics of my mapserver application. I am
drawing the map of a country (with cities and villages) and also a layer
of fiber optics (which can be approximated with a road layer). I have
the fiber separated by capacity (STM1 being the lowest capacity, going
to STM64 witch is the highest capacity).

Currently I am differentiating between fiber of different capacities by
using different colors and different line thickness. Unfortunately, it
isn't so pleasant on the eye (see attachment).

Can you share the colors you use to draw the following elements - so I
can model my map to look a bit better?
- map background (I'm not using raster images)
- cities
- small towns/villages
- roads
- rivers
- text elements

Also, a small screen capture, to show the colors would be nice.

I have an additional question: can elements such as roads be drawn in
such a way that they look like google maps (see second attachment) -
meaning not just a single color, but apparently color + boundries?

Thank you for your help

--
Adrian Popa

Network Engineer
Romtelecom S.A.
Divizia Centrul National de Operare Retea
Departament Transport IP & Metro
Compartiment IP Core