[mapserver-users] FORMATOPTION "PALETTE_FORCE=TRUE" problem

paalkr pal.kristensen at statkart.no
Wed Jan 7 10:12:03 EST 2009

thomas bonfort wrote:

>> Adding imagemode rgba didn't do any difference in any way. What exactly
>> should the effect of adding this to the outputformat be?
>
> outputformat with rgba:
>  * used when a transparent background is needed
>  * references a palette with r,g,b,a quadruplets
>
> outputformat with rgb:
>  * used when transparency isn't needed
>  * references a palette with r,g,b triplets
>
> regards,
> thomas

Hi Thomas!

Unfortunately I it does not work like you described in my situation.

1) A palette file with only r,g,b values does not work, regardless of
imagemode "rgb" or imagemode "rgba". It should have worked with imagemode
"rgb" (or am I wrong?)
2)Imagemode "rgb" produces transparent pictures (which should not happen if
I understood you correct) if the WMS parameter transparent=true. This is
with quantize_force=on and quantize_colors=256 is set, or no color reduction
at all.
3)Palette_force=true with palette file and the WMS transparent=true
parameter produces an image where nodata areas is filled with blacks,
regardless of imagemode "rgb" or imagemode "rgba"

Regards,
Pål Kristensen