[mapserver-users] CGI mapserv.exe - BUFFER

Donald Kerr donald.kerr at dkerr.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 12:47:09 EST 2009

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me some clarification please?

I am using the following url to return an image:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms4w/os.map&mode=map&mapsize=500+4
00&mapxy=258544+665909&layers=all&buffer=2000

The documentation states, "BUFFER [distance] - A distance, in the same
coordinate system as the map file, used in conjunction with MAPXY to create
an new map extent".

The coordinate system is in metres so I would expect that the width of the
image (500px) would be 2000m (2km). That doesn't seem to be the case i.e.
the returned images is, at a guess, double that.

I need clarification on what "buffer" is actually doing. No doubt I'm way
off the mark with the deduction above!

Many thanks.

Regards,

Donald Kerr