[mapserver-users] Show WFS layer

Peesjee openlayers at tauris.be
Tue Jan 13 11:03:32 EST 2009

Hi,

i tried it, no luck here. I added some WMS specs in my mapfile, and i can
see my two test records when i open the layer as a WMS in openlayers... but,
if i may, let me ask another question...

I'm very new in this technology, i'm just testing all this, because we want
to now if we can develop ourself what our customer asks us, or do we have to
'buy' the solution from another company (who is more an expert is this kind
of software).

The requirement is simple: i need to show some raster data (will be
delivered to me) together with positions of ships (that come from a
database). The ships need to be clickable and of course, some information
about the ship comes up (classic hugh ;)) Because of the heavy amount of
ships (> 1000), i do not want to use javascript-code to add my objects. (our
current project does that in Googlemaps, which act slow if many "markers'
are added)

So, I'm able to show a WMS layer (based on my test shapefile). i guess if
that works, i will be able to show some raster data aswell. Now comes the
'unknown' part for me. I know i can show my ships as an WMS layer, as a pure
image, (i tested this) but can i add my clickable funtionality? or is a WFS
layer better here...?

i know the site mentions books to read about Mapserver, but the books date
from 2005, are there any more recent good books out there?

Greetz
Peesjee