[mapserver-users] Accessing a different type of raster data type

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 13 16:17:59 EST 2009

Roger André wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm curious if you could give me an idea of the level of effort this
> would take.  I have access to a data service at work that will render an
> array of values in response to a bbox geographic query.  I'd like the
> ability to create a Mapserver raster Layer that uses this service as a
> data source, so that I can populate a web map using dynamically
> generated data, rather than pre-rendering a raster set.  How hard would
> it be to write a new "connector" that could read this data service?
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me,

Roger,

It should be reasonable easy to add this as a new GDAL format driver,
or alternatively as an extension of the existing "WMS" driver which
has a "minidriver" mechanism to add new web service types beyond
WMS.

Some helpful resources:

* The driver implementation tutorial:

   http://www.gdal.org/gdal_drivertut.html

* The WMS driver code (see mini drivers for examples of new protocols):

   http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/frmts/wms/

Best regards,