[mapserver-users] Mapserver.org sample ...

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Jan 14 01:37:51 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 09:23:40PM -0600, Bob Basques wrote:
> All,
>
> Ok, since there seems to be a push to use OpenLayers as a Client for
> Mapserver, where do I add in a GeoMoose demo?
>
> (simply stirring the pot. :c)

There are a number of ways that integrating GeoMoose into the MapServer
documentation makes sense.

 1. Extend the MapServer documentation with a section for 'client
    development applications' or something similar. This section would
    be ideal for describing a number of suppoting applications to
    MapServer, such as TileCache, OpenLayers, GeoMose, and a small demo
    for each of those wouldn't be inappropriate if it can be done within
    a dozen or so lines of HTML in an ReST doc.

 2. Add a general section with descriptions + pointers to other tools.
    This would be a less complete solutin than above, pointing to the
    GeoMoose site rather than documenting strongly its use within
    MapServer.

 3. Work towards getting a MapServer gallery, similar to the existing
    OpenLayers Gallery, set up for MapServer/OSGeo. This i a task that
    Howard and I have discussed, but no serious work has been done on
    yet. This would allow you to share the GeoMoose demonstrations with
    more people. (Though I will note that every GeoMoose demo I've gone
    to in the past 6 months has been a pain for me, because I have to
    accept an expired security certificate... that might be worth
    fixing.)

You seem to think that the curent demo on the MapServer homepage is a
demonstration of OpenLayers, which I would disagree with strongly. It's
entirely designed to be a demonstration of MapServer -- there is
practically no UI or features of OpenLayers used, just a set of pretty
Map tiles. If GeoMoose really creates a more compelling demonstration of
*MapServer* functionality -- as opposed to GeoMoose functionality --
that a 'normal' user -- one without GIS experience, for example -- can
appreciate, it might make more sense to have that be the case. Does
GeoMoose use advanced features of MapServer that non-GIS users would be
interested in? I haven't seen that thus far, personally, but would be
glad to be wrong.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt