[mapserver-users] Need Help with Custom (Raster) Data as Input

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Jan 20 04:04:26 EST 2009

Hi,

First of all your jpeg files need to be georeferenced.  Jpeg files are most often georeferenced with world files which are named as .jgw.  Sometimes they are named as .tfw, even that name is actually reserved for tiff files.  And Mapserver understands also world files named as .wld.
If your images are georeferenced you can continue to building one single layer from all of your images.  It is done with gdaltindex utility program.  Gdaltindex is building a shapefile that records the extents of all the images to be indexed.
Third step is to make a new raster layer that is using the shapefile index as a catalogue for finding the actual image files that needs to be opened when user is requesting a map from a certain area.

This should be enough to show you images as a single layer.  It would be a benefit to know the projection where the images are because otherwise they cannot be reprojected.  And for optimising performance it may be good to convert jpeg images to tiffs, but you can just start from jpegs and see if you are happy with the speed.
In conclusion:
1. Check georeferencing and projection, gdalinfo program is a good help in this.
2. Make tileindex with gdaltindex
3. Make a new raster layer in mapfile referring to just created tileindex file.

-Jukka Rahkonen-