[mapserver-users] Need Help with Custom (Raster) Data as Input

Muizudeen Kusimo devboyng at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 06:42:33 EST 2009

Dear Rahkonen,

Thank you for your mail, it was very helpful.

I have done the following:

1) Converted my .jpeg files to .tif and run the gdaltindex program to
georeference them. It returned a .shp, .shx and .dbf files. But I don't have
any .tfw file yet. Please see output of GDALTINDEX below.

2) I tested my .map file with the shp2img utility and it generated a blank
(white) .png file for me. Expectedly, the same blank file displays as blank
in the browser (i.e. Ka-Map UI).

My new questions:

1) My maps were scanned from a paper map, does this affect my ability to
Georeference them?
2) How do I determine the Projection of the scanned map images?

Thanks.

GDALTINDEX OUTPUT (condensed):
==========================
C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin>gdalinfo c:\ms4w\apps\test\tmp\pg19.tif
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: c:\ms4w\apps\test\tmp\pg19.tif
Size is 1098, 1696
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
  TIFFTAG_XRESOLUTION=200
  TIFFTAG_YRESOLUTION=200
  TIFFTAG_RESOLUTIONUNIT=2 (pixels/inch)
Image Structure Metadata:
  COMPRESSION=LZW
  INTERLEAVE=BAND
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0, 1696.0)
Upper Right ( 1098.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 1098.0, 1696.0)
Center      (  549.0,  848.0)
Band 1 Block=1098x8 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Palette
  Color Table (RGB with 256 entries)
    0: 0,0,0,255
    1: 165,171,167,255
    2: 255,197,98,255
    3: 239,168,102,255
    4: 206,150,75,255
     .
     . #removed to conserve space
     .
  255: 177,169,148,255

C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin>

The test.map file I used:
=================
MAP
 NAME test
 STATUS ON
 SIZE 1280 1280
 EXTENT -2200000 -712631 3072800 3840000
 UNITS DD
 #IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
 IMAGETYPE JPEG

 WEB
   IMAGEPATH "c:\ms4w\apps\test\tmp\"
   IMAGEURL "c:\ms4w\apps\test\"
 END

 LEGEND
   TRANSPARENT TRUE
 END

 SCALEBAR
   TRANSPARENT TRUE
 END

 LAYER
   NAME "My Sample Location"
   TYPE RASTER
   STATUS ON
   TILEINDEX "tmp\pg19.shp"
   TILEITEM "Location"
 END
END #MAP END

@Venkat

I hope my mail gives a clearer picture of my status for your further advice.

Thanks.