[mapserver-users] GIS and GPS

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Jan 27 04:45:57 EST 2009

The script/program that inserts the points needs to check for the distance from such features. How you do this is very much up to you. Custom Postgis functions & Postgres triggers, or entirely in your script.

This process is pretty simple, but the code wrapped around it to implement a useful application will be more complex.

The basic process will be much the same however you implement it:
(I'm assuming that you are recording the points, not just checking them, and have an active layer in mapserver which displays the points or features which are identified when the point gets within range)

Insert point into table
Check if any required features are closer than your minimum distance from
  the point
Set a flag or insert a record in the database which will be picked up by the mapserver layer to display these.
Do anything else you need in such cases

Insert next point & repeat

(Also: create a process for removing such flags or records when they are no longer needed)