[mapserver-users] Wiki Revival

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Jan 29 15:56:21 EST 2009

Hello MapServer community,

This message is an announcement of sorts, to call for all MapServer
users and developers to start adding hints, build notes, code examples,
etc. in the MapServer Wiki (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/).  If you
go to that page and pan down a bit you will see that there are now
several Wiki pages (mostly taken from the original MapServer wiki) that
need some love from you.  To login and start editing you'll need to
create an OSGeo userid, and there is a link on that page to create that.

I'd like to highlight some Wiki pages that I'd really like to see the
community add to:

* Presentations Archive
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/Presentations) - by now there must
be hundreds of MapServer presentations that could be posted here for others

* Users Directory (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/UserDirectory) -
why not?  the old wiki had one, so add yourself under your respective
country and make a little page describing your MapServer/FOSS4G interests

* Gallery (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/MapServerSites) - until
there is a formal gallery, add your application URL here and follow the
template

* Symbology Exchange
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/SymbologyExchange) - let's share
our symbols and tricks!

* Build Notes
(http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/MapServerCompilation) - if you've
recently compiled MapServer why not document what you learned (and your
steps) here for others?!

* MapScript Code Examples (phpmapscript:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/PHPMapScript perlmapscript:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/PerlMapScriptExamples35) - document
snippets of code so others can learn mapscript faster

* FAQ (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/wiki/FAQ) - is something driving
you crazy that has never been documented?  write it here so others can
avoid the same trap!

If you see a page or link that's out of date then by all means update
it.  You have ideas for a new 'exchange' (imagine a mapfile exchange, or
a layer exchange wiki page) then please create a new wiki page!

The old Wiki was quite popular and I'd like to see this Wiki instance be
used thoroughly as well.

thanks.

-jeff

--