[mapserver-users] point layer symbols

Worth Lutz wal3 at mindspring.com
Sun Jul 5 17:56:56 EDT 2009

Can anyone help describe how point symbols defined as type vector are placed
upon the point on the map.

My symbol and layer are listed below.  I get a good looking symbols.

My problem occurs when clicking on this symbol (and others like a triangle)
to query it.

If I click at the bottom of the airplane, I often get no results.

If I click above the top of the airplane, I can get results.

Raising the tolerance causes multiple results when the symbols are close
together but not touching.

How is the box surrounding the symbol (the bounds of the symbol) placed upon
the point on the map?  And how does size 9 in the class definition relate to
the size of this box?  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Worth

  SYMBOL

    NAME 'airplane'

    TYPE vector

    POINTS

    7 0

    6 1

    6 3

    0 4

    0 6

    6 5

    6 8

    3 8

    3 9

    11 9

    11 8

    8 8

    8 5

    14 6

    14 4

    8 3

    8 1

    7 0

    END

    FILLED TRUE

  END

LAYER

  NAME "airports"

  STATUS OFF

  TYPE POINT

  DATA "air"

  PROJECTION

    "init=epsg:32119" # NAD 83 North Carolina (meters US)

  END

  MAXSCALEDENOM 3750001

  TOLERANCE 7

  CLASSITEM "CLASS"