[mapserver-users] analysis web using Map Server

Till Adams adams at terrestris.de
Tue Jul 7 05:23:57 EDT 2009

Dear Gito,

UMN is not a real "GIS application" itsself, UMN is more capable for
showing processed GIS data in the internet. There are some possibilities
to interact with PostGIS, but if you really want to interpolate data
from points to surfaces, you should think about using a GIS in your
backend (e.g. GRASS, which supports a PHP, python (and some others
based) interface to web-applications).
As an example we use GRASS as backend so that users may interpolate
time-series of measured soil-moisture data and present this data via UMN
Mapserver in an OpenLayers based client.

So, what you need is an architecture, not purely UMN.
Correct me, if I'm wrong... -)

Hope this points you in a direction

Till

> Hi all,
>
> I am just introduced to Map Server, I've developed a web server with
> Fedora 7 and would like to develop a tool for map analysis in web by
> using Map Server.. Advise please, how to make a map interpolation with
> Map Server? and also the requirement for developing the interpolation?
>
> Thanks
> Gito Ginting

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Irmintrudisstrasse 17