[mapserver-users] Cascading WMS layer requests in MapServer

Rob gis at vanbooth.com
Tue Jul 7 10:09:25 EDT 2009

Hi

I was wondering if anybody knew whether it is possible to combine
multiple requests to a cascaded WMS service.

For example, my WMS service has lots of layers in it.  Amongst them
are six cascaded layers from a 3rd party service.  If a user requests
all six of those layers in one request currently, it makes six
individual requests to the 3rd party service in order to draw those
layers.

Whilst this makes sense if the layers= parameter has different layers
in between the 3rd party layers, when 2 or more layers are together,
surely it would make more sense to make fewer requests where possible.

Is this something that Mapserver already does and I havent spotted
it(in the WMS_METADATA for example?) , or is this a future requirement
;o) ?

MTIA

Rob