[mapserver-users] Building Mapserver with Mapscript and AGG

Jason Beverage jasonbeverage at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:08:14 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm trying to build Mapserver 5.4.1 against AGG 2.4 with Python Mapscript on
Centos 5 and I'm having some trouble.

I followed the instructions on
http://mapserver.org/installation/unix.htmland modified the
Makefile.in.Linux of AGG to include the -fPIC option to
support mapscript.  AGG seems to build libagg.a just fine in the src
directory.

When I build mapserver against that version of AGG, it compiles fine and so
do the python bindings.  However, when I install and try to use mapscript in
python, I get an error when I try to import the mapscript module:
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/_mapscript.so: undefined
symbol: _ZN3agg12g_sqrt_tableE

This appears to be an error due to the -fPIC option not being specified in
the AGG build, which I've done.

Are there any other steps that must be done to successfully compile
Mapserver against AGG to get the python bindings to work?

Thanks,

Jason