[mapserver-users] duplicate labels

Lars Lingner ml at lingner.eu
Fri Jul 17 15:25:48 EDT 2009

Andy Colson schrieb:
> Lars Lingner wrote:
>> Andy Colson schrieb:
>>> Hi All,
>>>

>>> Here is a screen shot:
>>>
>>> http://maps.camavision.com/map.jpg
>>>

>>> There are, as far as I can tell, 4 lines.  The label is duplicating and
>>> I dont want it too.  Here is the layer from the mapfile:
>>>

>>>     LAYER
>>>         NAME annotate_pin
>>>         TYPE line
>>>         STATUS on
>>>         CLASS
>>>             NAME "HIGHLIGHT"
>>>             STYLE
>>>                 COLOR 0 255 0
>>>                 OUTLINECOLOR 0 255 0
>>>                 WIDTH 3
>>>             END
>>>             LABEL
>>>                 TYPE truetype
>>>                 FONT "Vera"
>>>                 SIZE 10
>>>                 COLOR 0 0 0
>>>                 ANGLE follow
>>>                 POSITION auto
>>>                 BACKGROUNDCOLOR 255 255 255
>>>                 MINDISTANCE 900
>>>             END
>>>         END
>>>     END
>>>

>>> I have played with MINDISTANCE from 0 to 99,000 and it does not seem to
>>> make a difference.  I googled a little but have not found a useful
>>> answer.
>>>

>> If you want to use MINDISTANCE you have to set the SIZEUNITS parameter
>> at layer level like this:
>>
>> LAYER
>>  SIZEUNITS meters # one of [pixels|feet|inches|kilometers|meters|miles]
>>  LABEL
>>   MINDISTANCE 500
>>  END
>> END
>>
>> So the label wouldn't repeated for distances smaller than 500 meter.
>>

>> Lars
>
> That didn't seem to work.  It made all my fonts really small, but the
> labels still duped.

Do you have at MAP level the UNITS parameter?
[feet|inches|kilometers|meters|miles|dd]

Please try that, I should have told you that in my last reply ;)

also: which projection have you set at MAP level?

> The help says layer.sizeUnits "Sets the unit of CLASS object SIZE", does
> that include label font size?

it sets the unit of the object size, not the size itself. The font size
is controlled by the SIZE parameter (LABEL object)

> It defaults to pixels, yes?  Wouldnt a really big MINDISTANCE still have
> removed dups?

Not necessarily... Often they are different in orders of magnitude

Lars