[mapserver-users] label positioning

Raivo Alla snaperski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 07:38:36 EDT 2009

Hello,

I am labeling streets (again) and have two questions. I would be
enormously thankful If anyone could help me.

1) First, if I set labels of the street line features to ANGLE FOLLOW,
the output is sometimes weird as it is seen here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/snaperski/Ort#5363839637825485026 :
Aleksander Pushkin's street is positioned weirdly on the top.
Then, if I change to ANGLE AUTO, then that label is positioned better:
http://picasaweb.google.com/snaperski/Ort#5363839638912023874

I am aware that in case of ANGLE FOLLOW the label is placed different
from ANGLE AUTO, but that concrete street (Aleksander Pushkin)
contains only one line segment, so it should'nt be different.

The label section in the mapfile:
		LABEL
			TYPE truetype
			FONT "arial"
			COLOR 240 240 240
			OUTLINECOLOR 52 52 52
			SIZE 9
			priority 3
                        ENCODING UTF-8
			force false
			MINDISTANCE 200
			MINFEATURESIZE 15
			ANGLE follow
			POSITION cc
			BUFFER 2
		END

2) Another question arouses from previous screenshots (ie
http://picasaweb.google.com/snaperski/Ort#5363839637825485026)
and is an encoding problem.
Namely, I could'nt display correctly symbol "š" - that one appears
crippled on the screen.

My system uses mapserver 5.4.1 and libiconv package version 1.13.1.
Data to be displayed uses shapefile. I already tried to edit those
street label values in the shapefile to make sure that input character
"š" is from UTF-8 charset. I tried to change encoding to ISO-8859-1
also (in the mapfile), but nothing. So, I would appreciate a little
help here ;)

Best wishes,
Raivo Alla