[mapserver-users] mapserver map as wms in google maps - update?

Jennifer Shanks shanksje at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 4 14:58:11 EDT 2009

Hi Zach,

Here's a link to a blog post written by Christopher Schmidt that describes steps for using MapServer WMS and TileCache for generating tiles and displaying them on a Google map:
http://crschmidt.net/blog/311/using-tilecache-with-google-maps-and-virtual-earth/

The advantage of using TileCache is the load on your server will be much lighter.  If tiles for a requested area have already been generated, they will be served up.  If the tiles do not yet exist, they'll be generated and cached.

Here's a site that I created following the steps in the blog post:
www.parkinfo.org

Here's the map javascript I use for loading the a TileCache layer.  I use GTileLayers rather than GTileLayerOverlays so that I can create a custom map type with my data layers beneath the Google roads and labels.

    //create the tile layer
    var tileParks = new GTileLayer(null,null,null,{
    tileUrlTemplate: 'http://www.parkinfo.org/tilecache/tilecache.py/1.0.0/parkinfo_parks/{Z}/{X}/{Y}.png?type=google',
    isPng:true});
    tileParks.getOpacity = function() { return .6; }

   //create a custom satellite map type with imagery on the bottom, parks tile on top of that, and roads places labels on top.
    lyr_parks_sat=[G_HYBRID_MAP.getTileLayers()[0],tileParks,G_HYBRID_MAP.getTileLayers()[1]];
    lyr_sat=[G_HYBRID_MAP.getTileLayers()[0],G_HYBRID_MAP.getTileLayers()[1]];
    parkssat = new GMapType(lyr_parks_sat, G_NORMAL_MAP.getProjection(), "Satellite", {errorMessage:"Data currently unavailable"});

    map.addMapType(parkssat);

Hope this helps,
Jennifer