[mapserver-users] Displaying maps on the mobile

nimalika fernando nimalikaf at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 04:44:59 EDT 2009

Hi,

mobile maps based on mobile web has certain limitations.
If the targeting browser does not support JS , it would be useless to use OL as a client.
Basically it would be a good idea if you can provide a seperate layout using CSS, if you want to use the same web site.

But if yor target phones are not smart phones , then better to avoid OL client and use a simple XHTML based client. In terms of navigation , img size , apperence etc, it is a good idea to provide a seperate sites tahn trying to optimize the existing site.

I have tried WMS on mobile with Mapserver and basic HTML.

PHP or any server side strategy would do no harm.

I am testing cabalities of different browsers on providing web GIS services on mobile context these days and your site also can consider as a candidate if you wish.

nimalika