[mapserver-users] error in opening mapfile

Suman Chatterjee schatterjee at addisontx.gov
Mon Jun 22 17:51:12 EDT 2009

Hi all!

I have just started with Mapserver. I have installed the Mapserver from
ms4w. The map server and Apache server is running. I have also
downloaded the Itasca application and copied in the htdocs folder under
Apache. But my problem is I am not able to see the map. It is generating
the error message :

msLoadMap(): Unable to access file. (/mapservdemo/workshop/itasca.map)

I have changed the required IMAGEPATH and IMAGEURL  and the hidden
variables  in the  index.html file which is shown below:

  <head>

   <title>MapServer Itasca Application</title>

    <script language="javascript">

        function configure() {

                    var template =
document.demo.template.options[document.demo.template.selectedIndex].val
ue;

        // EDIT THE NEXT 2 LINES TO MATCH YOUR SETUP

        var snippet = "IMAGEPATH 'c:/webdevdata/ms_tmp/'";

        snippet += " IMAGEURL '/ms_tmp/'";

       snippet += " TEMPLATE " + template;

      document.demo.map_web.value = snippet;

        if(template.indexOf("frame") != -1) document.demo.action =
"frames.html";

        if(template.indexOf("dhtml") != -1) document.demo.action =
"frames_dhtml.html";

      }

    </script>

  </head>

  <center><h2>MapServer Itasca Application (ms v5.0)</h2></center>

    This demonstration application will take you through various levels
of complexity. Starting with a basic application that

    allows a user to pan/zoom and change layers we add:

    <ul>

   <li> dynamically configured scalebars

      <li> javascript-based panning

      <li> query results to a frame

      <li> and finally, a DHTML rubber-band zoom/query capabilty

    </ul>

    The base data is the old-reliable Itasca dataset that we know and
love...

 <!-- EDIT THE FORM ACTION -->

    <form name="demo" method="GET" action="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe"
onSubmit="configure()">

     <input type="hidden" name="layer" value="lakespy2">

  <input type="hidden" name="layer" value="dlgstln2">

     <input type="hidden" name="zoomsize" value=2>

   <input type="hidden" name="map_web" value="">

 <!-- EDIT THESE HIDDEN VARIABLES -->

 <input type="hidden" name="map"
value="/mapservdemo/workshop/itasca.map">

     <input type="hidden" name="program" value="/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe">

   <input type="hidden" name="root" value="/mapservdemo/workshop">

    <select name="template" size="1">

  <option value="itasca_basic.html"> Basic Application

     <option value="itasca_adds_scalebar.html"> &nbsp;&nbsp;-- Adds
second scalebar

     <option value="itasca_adds_pan.html"> &nbsp;&nbsp;-- Adds pan
controls

       <option value="itasca_adds_frames.html"> &nbsp;&nbsp;-- Adds
frames

    <option value="itasca_adds_dhtml.html"> &nbsp;&nbsp;-- Adds dhtml
rubber-band box

     </select>

      <input type="submit" value="Initialize"></center>

</form>

The itasca.map file is as below:

#

# Start of map file

#

MAP

  NAME ITASCA

  STATUS ON

  SIZE 600 600

  EXTENT 388107.634400379 5203120.88405952 500896.339019834
5310243.30613897

  UNITS METERS

  SHAPEPATH "C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\mapservdemo\workshop\data"

  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255

  TEMPLATEPATTERN "itasca"

  IMAGETYPE PNG

  #

  # Projection definition, consult the PROJ.4 documentation for
parameter discussion

  #

  # PROJECTION

  #   "proj=utm"

  #   "ellps=GRS80"

  #   "zone=15"

  #   "north"

  #   "no_defs"

  #

  #   OR:

  #

  #   "init=epsg:26915"

  # END

  #

  # Start of symbol definitions (we're only using a few)

  #

  SYMBOL

    NAME 'circle'

    TYPE ELLIPSE

    POINTS 1 1 END

    FILLED TRUE

  END

  SYMBOL

    NAME 'star'

    TYPE VECTOR

    FILLED TRUE

    POINTS

      0 .375

      .35 .375

      .5 0

      .65 .375

      1 .375

      .75 .625

      .875 1

      .5 .75

      .125 1

      .25 .625

    END

  END

  #

  # Start of web interface definition (including WMS enabling metadata)

  #

  WEB

    HEADER templates/header.html

    TEMPLATE "set in index.html"

    FOOTER templates/footer.html

    MINSCALE 1000

    MAXSCALE 1550000

    IMAGEPATH "c:/webdevdata/ms_tmp"

    IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "UMN MapServer Itasca Demo"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "This is a UMN MapServer application for Itasca
County located in north central Minnesota."

      WMS_ACCESSCONSTRAINTS "none"

      # change this value to match your setup

      WMS_ONLINERESOURCE
"http://localhost/mapservdemo/workshop/index.html"

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END

  #

  # Start of reference map

  #

  REFERENCE

    IMAGE graphics/reference.png

    EXTENT 393234.393701263 5205405.16440722 495769.579718949
5307959.02579127

    SIZE 120 120

    STATUS ON

    MINBOXSIZE 5

    MAXBOXSIZE 100

    COLOR 255 0 0

    OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0

    MARKERSIZE 8

    MARKER 'star'

  END

  #

  # Start of legend

  #

  LEGEND

    KEYSIZE 18 12

    LABEL

      TYPE BITMAP

      SIZE MEDIUM

      COLOR 0 0 89

    END

    STATUS ON

  END

  #

  # Start of scalebar

  #

  SCALEBAR

    IMAGECOLOR 0 0 0

    LABEL

      COLOR 255 255 255

      SIZE TINY

    END

    STYLE 1

    SIZE 100 2

    COLOR 255 255 255

    UNITS MILES

    INTERVALS 1

    TRANSPARENT TRUE

    STATUS ON

  END

  #

  # Start of layer definitions

  #

  LAYER

    NAME drgs

    TYPE RASTER

    STATUS OFF

    # OFFSITE 31

    OFFSITE 252 252 252

    CLASS

      NAME 'Digital Raster Graphic'

      KEYIMAGE graphics/drgs_keyimage.png

    END

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "USGS 1:250,000 Digital Raster Graphic"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "Hibbing and Bemidji quadrangles. See
http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/drgncim1.html for more
information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

    TILEINDEX drgidx

  END

  LAYER

    NAME ctybdpy2

    TYPE POLYGON

    STATUS DEFAULT

    DATA ctybdpy2

    # no need for a background IF the USGS quads are being drawn

    REQUIRES "![drgs]"

    CLASSITEM 'cty_name'

    CLASS

      EXPRESSION 'Itasca'

      STYLE

        OUTLINECOLOR 128 128 128

        COLOR 225 225 185

      END

    END

    CLASS # every other county in the state

      EXPRESSION /./

       STYLE

        OUTLINECOLOR 128 128 128

        COLOR 255 255 255

      END

    END

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "County Boundary"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "Itasca County boundary shapefile. See
http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/ctybdne2.html for more
information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END

  LAYER

    NAME mcd90py2

    GROUP cities

    TYPE POLYGON

    DATA mcd90py2

    STATUS OFF

    CLASSITEM city_name

    CLASS

      NAME "Cities & Towns"

      EXPRESSION /./

      STYLE

        COLOR 255 225 90

      END

      TEMPLATE "templates/mcd90py2.html"

    END

    HEADER "templates/mcd90py2_header.html"

    FOOTER "templates/mcd90py2_footer.html"

    DUMP TRUE # allow GML export

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "Minor Civil Divisions"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "Minor civil divisions for Itasca County (boundaries
only)."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END

  LAYER

    NAME twprgpy3

    TYPE POLYGON

    DATA twprgpy3

    STATUS OFF

    CLASS

      NAME 'Townships'

      STYLE

        SYMBOL 'circle'

        SIZE 2

        OUTLINECOLOR 181 181 145

      END

    END

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "Township Boundaries"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "Pulic Land Survey (PLS) township boundaries for
Itasca County. See
http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/twprgne2.html for more
information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END

  LAYER

    NAME lakespy2

    TYPE POLYGON

    STATUS OFF

    DATA lakespy2

    CLASS

      NAME 'Lakes & Rivers'

      TEMPLATE "templates/lakespy2.html"

      STYLE

        COLOR 49 117 185

      END

    END

    HEADER "templates/lakespy2_header.html"

    FOOTER "templates/lakespy2_footer.html"

    TOLERANCE 3

    DUMP TRUE # allow GML export

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "Lakes and Rivers"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "DLG lake and river polygons for Itasca County. See
http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/dlglkpy2.html for more
information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END # lakes

  LAYER

    NAME dlgstln2

    TYPE LINE

    STATUS OFF

    DATA dlgstln2

    CLASS

      NAME "Streams"

      TEMPLATE "templates/dlgstln2.html"

      STYLE

        COLOR 49 117 185

      END

    END

    HEADER "templates/dlgstln2_header.html"

    FOOTER "templates/dlgstln2_footer.html"

    TOLERANCE 5

    DUMP TRUE # allow GML export

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "Streams"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "DLG streams for Itasca County. See
http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/dlgstln2.html for more
information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END # streams

  LAYER

    NAME ctyrdln3

    GROUP roads

    MAXSCALE 300000

    STATUS OFF

    DATA ctyrdln3

    TYPE LINE

    CLASS

      STYLE

        COLOR 0 0 0

      END

    END

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "County Roads"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "County roads (lines only). Derived from MNDOT roads
layer, see http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/dotrdln2.html for
more information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END # county roads

  LAYER

    NAME ctyrdln3_anno

    GROUP roads

    MAXSCALE 300000

    STATUS OFF

    DATA ctyrdln3

    TYPE ANNOTATION

    LABELITEM "road_name"

    CLASS

      STYLE

        COLOR 255 255 255

        SYMBOL 'symbols/ctyhwy.png'

      END

      LABEL

        MINFEATURESIZE 40

        MINDISTANCE 150

        POSITION CC

        SIZE TINY

        COLOR 0 0 0

      END

    END

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "County Roads"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "County roads (shields only). Derived from MNDOT
roads layer, see http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/dotrdln2.html
for more information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END # county road annotation

  LAYER

    NAME majrdln3

    GROUP roads

    MAXSCALE 600000

    STATUS OFF

    DATA majrdln3

    TYPE LINE

    CLASS

      NAME "Roads"

      STYLE

        COLOR 0 0 0

      END

    END

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "Highways"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "Highways- state, US and interstate (lines only).
Derived from MNDOT roads layer, see
http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/dotrdln2.html for more
information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END # highways

  LAYER

    NAME majrdln3_anno

    GROUP roads

    MAXSCALE 600000

    STATUS OFF

    DATA majrdln3

    TYPE ANNOTATION

    LABELITEM "road_num"

    CLASSITEM "road_class"

    CLASS

      EXPRESSION "3"

      STYLE

        COLOR 0 0 0 # dummy color

        SYMBOL 'symbols/sthwy.png'

      END

      LABEL

        MINFEATURESIZE 50

        MINDISTANCE 150

        POSITION CC

        SIZE TINY

        COLOR 0 0 0

      END

    END

    CLASS

      EXPRESSION "2"

      STYLE

        COLOR 0 0 0 # dummy color

        SYMBOL 'symbols/ushwy.png'

      END

      LABEL

        MINFEATURESIZE 50

        MINDISTANCE 150

        POSITION CC

        SIZE TINY

        COLOR 0 0 0

      END

    END

    CLASS

      EXPRESSION "1"

      STYLE

        COLOR 0 0 0 # dummy color

        SYMBOL 'symbols/interstate.png'

      END

      LABEL

        MINFEATURESIZE 50

        MINDISTANCE 150

        POSITION CC

        SIZE TINY

        COLOR 255 255 255

      END

    END

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "Highways"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "Highways- state, US and interstate (shields only).
Derived from MNDOT roads layer, see
http://deli.dnr.state.mn.us/metadata/full/dotrdln2.html for more
information."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END # highway annotation

  LAYER

    NAME airports

    TYPE POINT

    DATA airports

    STATUS OFF

    CLASS

      NAME 'Airports'

      STYLE

        COLOR 128 255 164

        SYMBOL 'circle'

        SIZE 7

      END

      TEMPLATE "templates/airports.html"

    END

    HEADER "templates/airports_header.html"

    FOOTER "templates/airports_footer.html"

    TOLERANCE 5

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "Airports"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "Airport runways for Itasca County."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END

  LAYER

    NAME mcd90py2_anno

    GROUP cities

    TYPE ANNOTATION

    DATA mcd90py2

    STATUS OFF

    LABELITEM "city_name"

    CLASSITEM "city_name"

    LABELMAXSCALE 500000

    CLASS

      EXPRESSION /./

      LABEL

        COLOR 0 0 0

        SHADOWCOLOR 218 218 218

        SHADOWSIZE 2 2

        TYPE BITMAP

        SIZE MEDIUM

        POSITION CC

        PARTIALS FALSE

        BUFFER 2

      END

    END

    METADATA

      WMS_TITLE "Minor Civil Divisions"

      WMS_ABSTRACT "Minor civil divisions for Itasca County (annotation
only)."

      WMS_SRS "EPSG:26915"

    END

  END

END # Map File

I have also changed my httpd.conf file  by including the following
lines:

Alias /ms_tmp/ "c:/webdevdata/ms_tmp/"

<Directory "c:/webdevdata/ms_tmp/">

  AllowOverride None

  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews

  Order allow,deny

  Allow from all

</Directory>

But I am still receiving the same error.

When I am trying to display the Itasca.map file in the browser as below

http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map="c:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\mapservd
emo\workshop\itasca.map
<http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=%22c:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\mapse
rvdemo\workshop\itasca.map> "

I am getting an error message

 msEvalRegex(): Regular expression error. String
("c:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\mapservdemo\workshop\itasca.map") failed
expression test.

But I can open the map file in text form  in the browser without the
mapserver.

 I have no idea of what is going wrong? Any help in this regard is
welcome.

Thanks

Suman

This e-mail and any files or attachments transmitted with it contains Information that is confidential and privileged. This document may contain Protected Health Information (PHI) or other information that is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity(ies) to whom it is addressed. If you are the intended recipient, further disclosures are prohibited without proper authorization. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, printing, or use of this information is strictly prohibited and possibly a violation of federal or state law and regulations. If you have received this information in error, please delete it and notify Hamid Khaleghipour at 972-450-2868 immediately. Thank you.