[Fwd: Re: [mapserver-users] classification of a raster image is changing]

Stefan Schantz sschantz at bfs.de
Tue Jun 30 13:11:48 EDT 2009

Hello Frank,
thank you for your explaination. I think, that now i have a small idea,
what the UMN Mapserver is doing with my raster image.
As I wrote, I use gdal_grid to get my raw data.
Is it right, that if I use the output format Geotiff with the option -
ot Byte, i would avoid these rounding errors? (Also long as my values
are <255. At least it seems so.)

In another case the values of the raw data have a range from 0 to 1E7
(and even higher). I have the problem, that the gradient is very high,
so that only 2 classes are shown in picture.
 Is there any way for a logarithmic pre processing like 0-3; 3-10;
10-30; 30-100; 100-300; 300-1000; >1000
I tried to set
PROCESSING "SCALE=1,1001"
PROCESSING "SCALE_BUCKETS=1000"
in the hope, that the last buckets will get all values >1000, but this
was thought too simple.

Now I hope, that anybody has a better idea!
Thank you!

Stefan