[mapserver-users] Is using ECW format allowed or not?

John Mitchell mitchelljj98 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 12:26:22 EST 2009

If instead of using compressed ECW images as input for MapServer WMS you had
GeoWebCache in front of MapServer which means that the WMS input is cached
tiled png's instead of ECW images from MapServer.Then I think that you get
around the ECW SDK license agreement, Correct???

Thanks,

John

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Gregor Mosheh <gregor at hostgis.com> wrote:

> 1. Can we use our compressed ECW images as input for MapServer WMS?
>> 2. Can we use ECW as an output format for MapServer WCS?
>>

> The license agreement says that the ECW SDK cannot be used "on a server"
> then goes on to define that as a computer connected to the Internet which
> provides images. I'd say that clearly rules out MapServer consuming ECW.
> Very unfortunate, but in my opinion very clear.
>
> In my tests, I have found that JPEG2000 and ECW are really too slow for
> production use anyway. Maybe that's some "sour grapes" consolation? :)
>
>  --
> Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth    BS, A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
> System Administrator, Lead Programmer
> HostGIS development & hosting services, http://www.HostGIS.com/
>
> "Remember that no one cares if you can back up,
>  only if you can restore." - AMANDA

John J. Mitchell