[mapserver-users] Newbie - installed Mapserver - where next?

Asle Benoni asle at benoni.no
Thu Mar 5 12:40:42 EST 2009

Hi,
I am a newbie and have installed Mapserver 5.2.1 on OS X Server 10.5.
I have been able to display maps that I exported from QGIS and though
some problems are displaying the maps.

Now the next step is to get a framework around the maps and I have
tried MapScript but I don´t have PHP CGI on the server :-(
I also have tried GeoServer which I really don´t understand because I
have downloaded the GeoServer.app and when I run it I have no idea
how  to configure it since all the docs talk about using the "war"
file but  I can´t find anything about using the GeoServer.app. I also
am trying  OpenLayers with a little success.

I would be glad for any tips as to where I should go from here. I
have  installed postgreSQL and POSTGIS and my goal is to write mapdata
to  postgreSQL and display maps for that source. I also want to be
able to  enter data into the maps i.ex. click a point in the map and
enter  location data for that coordinate that is written to database
so it is  displayed later.

I am glad for any ideas for a newbie :-)

/asle