[mapserver-users] Run-time substitution

Ian iansgis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:27:45 EDT 2009

Alright, thank you for confirming run-time substitution's lack of LAYER NAME
support.

My setup involves MapServer 5.0, OpenLayers 2.7, and TileCache 2.1. Maps are
WMS and not all layers (including the ~50 in my first post) are cached. I've
written a small javascript library that handles feature queries, loads
custom tools, and does the communication between client interaction and
MS/OL/TC. Most maps are in html pages for partner and sponsor projects.

Mapscript intrigues me and I should understand it better, but I'm still not
clear on the topic in general (even after going through the documentation).
It sounds like instead of OL doing direct MS requests it would hit a
(Python, etc) CGI that handled MS requests and generated the relevant
images? An OL mailing list search for mapscript just returned a bunch of
results, I'll research some more. Thank you.