[mapserver-users] WFS and PostGIS newbie question

SeeJay hendrix.cj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 17:21:01 EDT 2009

Pal,

Thanks for pointing me to these documents.  Let me summarize what I learned
in case it may help others just getting started with Mapserver WFS.

The fact that Mapserver can be used both as a WFS server and a WFS client
had confused some of the entries in my mapfile.  To use Mapserver as WFS
SERVER (with PostGIS data), the mapfile needs to include the WFS metadata
entries for the MAP object as well as some WFS metadata entries for the
LAYER object.  These entries are well demonstrated in the documents you
forwarded.  CONNECTIONTYPE and the DATA statements will be the same as for
WMS layers that connect to PostGIS.

It is possible to mix WMS and WFS layers in the same map file, but when
using those layers with OpenLayers, the WMS and WFS OpenLayers.Layers must
be created and added to the OpenLayers.Map object separately.

Thanks for the speedy and helpful response.

--CJ