[mapserver-users] Prevalence of the use of queryfiles...

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Mar 20 07:28:03 EDT 2009

Steve,

we use this feature in Fusion via mapscript to save the result of a
spatial or attribute query and then via the CGI (via OpenLayers by
merging new params queryfile=) to draw the query when rendering the
map.  It is a *very* convenient and seemingly lightweight (at least in
coding terms) mechanism to draw query results.   We don't need to
modify the map file as a result of a query and we don't need to use
mapscript to draw the map (since everything else is on the client for
requesting the map).

We could change this to use another mechanism - when a fusion app
starts, the requested mapfile is copied to a session so we can modify
if necessary (add/remove layers, reorder etc).  This means that as a
result of a query, we could add layers that point to temporary shape
files that contain copies of selected features.  While this might give
us a bit more control over presentation of the query results, it might
also be problematic for selecting features like points with specific
symbols coming from different layers etc ... I guess we would copy
every layer that had a query result to new layer and modify the styles
but that could get very complex to manage.

One of the requested features for Fusion (MapServer) is to modify the
selection (add features, remove features).  We can do this in
MapGuide.  Managing things in shapefiles would at least give us an
option to implement this kind of thing, but it would be quite heavy
handed I think.

Overall I would argue to keep it unless you know of a reasonably
simple way to replicate this functionality with mapscript and not
requiring mapscript to draw the map every time (which was what we did
in Chameleon!).

Cheers

Paul