[mapserver-users] advantages of having the map file header extent the actual bounding box instead of EXTENT -180 -90 180 90 # World

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Mar 22 16:13:59 EDT 2009

John,

I believe that the EXTENT in the MAP object is used as the default
extents if non is explicitly or implicitly defined by other parameters.
For example if you use:

http://server/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/path/to/my.map&mode=map

Then you would get the EXTENTs and the SIZE for the image corrected for
aspect ratio mis-matches.

Similarly,

shp2img -m /path/to/my.map -o junk.png

would like-wise generate the same image.

-Steve