[mapserver-users] ogr connection to postgis problems

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Mar 25 11:40:17 EDT 2009

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Travis Kirstine wrote:
>> I am trying to test a connection to a postgis db  using ogrinfo and am
>> having difficulties.  I am running the command on the same server that
>> hosts the postgis db.  I checked the pg_hba.config file to see if it
>> allows local connections and everything looks OK but I still get
>> "Failure" when connecting with ogr.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>

>> command
>> ogrinfo -ro PG:'host=server34 dbname=earth user=bob password=suruncle'
>>

> My thoughts:
>
> - since you are on the same server, use host=127.0.0.1
> - include the port parameter (usually port=5432)

Have you try from the command line:

psql -h server34 -U bob earth
psql -h localhost -U bob earth
psql -U bob earth

Should prompt you for the password.

Only the last on will use the local socket or named pipe. If the last
one works the try:

ogrinfo -ro PG:'host= dbname=earth user=bob password=suruncle'
ogrinfo -ro PG:'dbname=earth user=bob password=suruncle'

and see if either of these work.

-Steve W