[mapserver-users] MapServer 5.4 WMS Server VERSION=1.3.0 Problem

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Mon May 4 10:08:15 EDT 2009

G'day all,

I'm a little new to WMS, but I confess the GetLegendGraphic feature
available now in the 5.4 release caught my eye.

So I'm 5.4.0 and using OpenLayers 2.7. However, when I use the URL :

/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/Users/19022662/Sites/marketprices/mapserver/
layers/
ol_countries_wms
.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG:4326&

I get the following message (embedded in the tile) :

msWMSLoadGetMapParams(): WMS server error. Invalid format for the
EXCEPTION parameter.

If I drop the VERSION (either back to 1.1.1 or just completely loose
it, text below in the context of the OL script.

var pol_bnd = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
	'Countries',
	'http://trade.murdoch.local/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/Users/19022662/Sites/marketprices/mapserver/layers/ol_countries_wms.map&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG:4326&'
,
                 {layers: 'countries'}
             );
map.addLayer(pol_bnd);

I get my maps.

I can work with this for now, but is there something I'm missing. I
did try fiddling with the reported CRS / SRS changes, but I think I
just confused myself - but that would be another topic!

Perhaps along with the mapfile in the documentation, a copy of a full
example of a request url would be great.

Some of the mapfile is attached for completeness (it has been sucked
across from a CGI Mapserv application):

--------------------------

MAP
     NAME		aus_boundaries
     STATUS		ON
     UNITS		DD
     EXTENT      110 -35 130 -12 #  WA extents
     SIZE        900 650
     SHAPEPATH   "../geodata/"
     FONTSET     "../geodata/fonts/fonts.lst"
     SYMBOLSET   "../trade.sym"
     IMAGECOLOR  230 240 255
     CONFIG "MS_ERRORFILE" "/var/log/mserr.log"
     DEBUG 5

     PROJECTION
         "init=epsg:4326"
     END

     WEB
		METADATA
			"wms_title"           "GMS Livestock Trade"
			"wms_onlineresource"  "http://trade.murdoch.local/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/Users/19022662/Sites/marketprices/mapserver/ol_countries_wms.map&
"
			"wms_srs"             "EPSG:4326"
		END