[mapserver-users] is animated symbols possible in mapserverwebsite?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed May 13 05:47:33 EDT 2009

meenu wrote:

> dears..i did this part like as follows...but the animation is
> not working...that means ball colour is not changing
>
> SYMBOL
>   NAME "ball"
>   TYPE pixmap
>   IMAGE "\images\ball.gif"
> END

I guess that getting this effect with Mapserver would mean creating an
animated gif about the whole map and sending that our. I believe that
Mapserver does not support this but it building and sending just static
images for the client and in this case that static image contains only
some fixed pixels which originate from your animated "ball.gif" file.  I
would guess that they always come from the first frame of the gif file.

I do not know enough about web techniques to say how to make what you
want. For sure it is possible somehow. I guess it would mean something
like sending the base map for the background and the ball.gif to be
drawn on top of that and a clever client that puts them together.

-Jukka Rahkonen-