[mapserver-users] Limit of records

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed May 20 06:52:03 EDT 2009

Hi,

There is no limit for number of records in Mapserver.  Apache. that is used as http server in front of Mapserver does have timeout, which is 300 seconds by default but can be adjusted.  Generally speaking number of records does not tell much about how hard that layer is to handle, if anything.  It depends more on the vector data format, nature of the features (points vs. polygons with thousands of vertices), indexing etc.   However, I would say that normally 63 thousand features is  not much and if Mapserver hits the timeout then the data are not suitable for Mapserver without some preprocessing.  So, please describe what kind of data you have.  Ogrinfo report about the layer would be a good addition.

-Jukka Rahkonen-