[mapserver-users] Point lables and tiles

paalkr pal.kristensen at statkart.no
Mon May 25 09:00:15 EDT 2009

Hi!

When creating tiles for my tilecache I have some issues regarding point
labels. Using the PROCESSING label_no_clip=true works for line and polygon
labels, but points has not area/size and will therefor newer be present in
two neighbouring tiles. The result are clipped labels because only one tile
will ever know about the presence of a point. If then the label should have
been rendered into the next tile, it will be clipped. Metatiles (requesting
more than one tile at a time and splitting it up on the tile server) helps,
but only a little, as the same problem will occur between metatiles.

A solution would be that MapServer rendered each tile (map) some percentage
larger than requested, and then chops of the excess area before delivering
the final map. A setting at the MAP level of the mapfile controlling this
"grow" mechanism would be great, defining the percentage the map shall be
extended before rendering.

Second, is there any other way to solve the issue? Especially if there are
already features in MapServer that can be used.

Regards,
Pål Kristensen

-----

Regards,