[mapserver-users] Starting with TIGER Line Data and MapServer

Monali Lodha monalilodha at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 10:45:10 EST 2009

Thanks Stephen and Dan!

@Stephen
The recent Tiger Shapefiles come with .prj files and do have a
projection. Could there be a different issue then?

@Dan
> Regarding #1
> Were all of your shapes in the same projection as the Itasca demo? If not, their coordinates may have been far outside of the extents of the map.
Yes, we used the data for Itasca County.

> Regarding #2
> Do you have 300 shapefiles, meaning you have 300 layers you wish to display?  If so, you might want to take a look at an alternate solution than the Itasca demo.  For example (toots own horn) GeoMOOSE is designed to allow multiple mapfiles to be used within a single application.   It makes the management of the large number of layers much more palatable.  We also have a number of users that are at the same level of layer management as you are and could give more suggestions on how to best manage that data for use in a Web GIS.

No. We have a few (10-15) layers. However, the shapefiles
corresponding to each layer are different for every county. I shall
also forward my query in the GeoMoose mailing list. Thanks!