[mapserver-users] WMS shootout, ESRI and ERDAS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 15 11:07:20 EDT 2009

Bruce Foster wrote:
> Then our big brother, ESRI.
 > They had installed the software to the machine, done
> everything.. but when it comes to doing the actual test that takes
> only 10 hrs in total.. they have resource problem !!!!!,

Bruce,

I do not believe it is accurate to say they had done everything.  They
had the software installed and I think it was operational.  I was at
that point with MapServer approximately six weeks ago and only this
week got to the point where I am comfortable with the results and I
was only doing the raster side of MapServer.  A know they were still
struggling to get data packages uploaded.

Personally, I'm willing to accept the ESRI explanation that they did
not have sufficient manpower and lead time left to do a credible job
at benchmarking.

> In most cases, we have the responsibility of recommending the software
> for agencies .. why should one take the risk?

Customers have good reason to look for credible benchmarking comparisons
between services before making a big investment.  This benchmarking effort
is by no means the be-all and end-all of benchmarking, but I would like
to think it can offer some useful guidance.

Ultimately those involved in large acquisitions would be well served to do
some benchmarking themselves.

Lastly, lets not always ascribe the worst of intentions to people or
organizations.  I don't want to leave a bad taste in ESRI's mouth with
regard to this benchmarking effort or they might well never even contemplate
cooperating on such efforts with us in the future.

Best regards,