[mapserver-users] Scale Bar Size Issue

PatB pbarnhart at gis-services.com
Fri Sep 25 00:04:27 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm using the code below to request a scalebar from mapserver.  My
understanding of the documentation is that the size parameter sets the size
of the scalebar itself not including the text, border, etc but that's not
what I'm getting back.  The url below returns an image that is 600 x 153
(I'm requesting 600 x 75) when it should be more like 750 x 153 to account
for the surrounding stuff.  The height works as expected and the
units/distances look right, the width of the scalebar itself is the issue.

This is for a print app, the output res is 300dpi so by setting the width to
600 I was hoping to print a 2 inch wide scale bar with four 1/2" intervals.
This seems like it would be a common task but I've been digging though the
forum for hours without success.  A little help?  I'm using MS version 5.4.2

mapserv.exe?MAP=C:/ms4w/tmp/maps/mp.map&mode=scalebar&mapext=-8798233+4184184+-8793280+4188502&mapsize=11700+10200&map.scalebar=units+feet+size+600+75+intervals+4+label+size+40+end

and my map file goes something like:

MAP
UNITS meters
SCALEBAR
  STYLE 0
  IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
  LABEL
    TYPE TRUETYPE
    FONT "tahoma"
    SIZE 40
    COLOR 0 114 255
  END
  SIZE 600 75
  COLOR 235 235 235
  BACKGROUNDCOLOR 0 114 255
  OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
  UNITS meters
  INTERVALS 4
  STATUS on
  TRANSPARENT on
END

Thanks - and yes, the map size is friggin huge.