[mapserver-users] MapServer dynamic map creation - Is thispossible?

Benoît Andrieu bea at ixsea.com
Mon Sep 28 08:43:44 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Till Adams" <adams at terrestris.de>
To: "Dan Walton" <dgwalton at gmail.com>
Cc: <mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org>
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2009 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] MapServer dynamic map creation - Is thispossible?

> Dan Walton schrieb:
>> I am new to WMS, so bear with my ignorance please.
>> I have a service that processes imagery and outputs large TIFF + World file
>> images (5-40 MB), and some shapefiles. Currently these images have no
>> pyramid or tiling. I would like to further make the images web map friendly
>> and my thought is that WMS and MapServer is the way to go. We will likely be
>> creating dozens or perhaps hundreds of these images per day. This needs to
>> run on Windows alongside or within IIS.
>> So I have a volley of questions for anyone who might have answers. Feel free
>> to skip any:
>>
>> 1. Can MapServer even do this, that is, host several large images and allow
>> new ones to be added on the fly via the api?
> If there is a process, which generates the imags anyway, I think it's the easiest way to let this procedure
> write either a new layer to your mapfile or generate a new mapfile on it's own. This could be requested as WMS or sth. like that.

You can also have a Postgis database where you will only put the path to your files.
Then in your map file, you set your layer as a database SQL request.

The size of your files does not really matter as long as you have tiling and overviews.
For example, I have used some 1 Gbyte TIFF files without any problem.

It is also good to have the same projection system in the source images and in the request.
MapServer on the fly reprojection is only "nearest-neighbour" so image quality could be
very bad if CRS are different.

For your shapefiles, you can also put them in a postgis database and make on-the-fly union / intersection ... using your layer
definition.