[mapserver-users] phpmapscript whichShapes return code ? (second try)

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Fri Apr 23 04:30:06 EDT 2010

Hi

I just had the same "problem" with python mapscript (python 2.5.2) on
mapserver 5.4.2 as my post from 2 years ago

can someone tell me what the return code "2" means for whichShapes ?

I looked at Mapserver and Mapscript source code (I dont know C so I just
followed the logical calls)

whichShapes calls for msLayerWhichShapes or return MS_FAILURE
*msLayerWhichShapes calls for msInitializeVirtualTable and LayerWhichShapes
**msInitializeVirtualTable calls for destroyVirtualTable,
createVirtualTable, and (in my case) msShapeFileLayerInitializeVirtualTable
or returns MS_FAILURE
***destroyVirtualTable returns MS_SUCCESS
***createVirtualTable calls for populateVirtualTable or returns MS_FAILURE
****populateVirtualTable return only MS_SUCCESS
***msShapeFileLayerInitializeVirtualTable return only MS_SUCCESS
**LayerWhichShapes is msShapeFileLayerWhichShapes in my case
***msShapeFileLayerWhichShapes calls for msShapefileWhichShapes or returns
MS_FAILURE
****msShapefileWhichShapes returns MS_DONE, MS_FAILURE or MS_SUCCESS

if I do :
print mapscript.MS_DONE
I get 2 so here is my culprit

so,
1) the documentation in incomplet, mapscript whichshapes can return
MS_SUCCESS, MS_FAILURE or MS_DONE
2) what the hell is MS_DONE ?

the code is in mapshape.c in function msShapefileWhichShapes :

  /* rect and shapefile DON'T overlap... */
  if(msRectOverlap(&shpfile->bounds, &rect) != MS_TRUE)
    return(MS_DONE);

does that means the requested rect is completly outside of the shapefile
bbox ?

anyone can confirm that ?

thanks in advance
Oliver