[mapserver-users] Feature select performance

Chris Jackson webturtles at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 04:19:46 EDT 2010

Hi all

I have rigged up a webGIS app (P.Mapper framework) where one of the
underlying datasets is a model grid (many thousand cells) in a shapefile.
The data displays nice and quick when just viewing, but if I allow the user
to select say 5000 cells it is very (extremely) slow to redraw with the
highlighted cells.  Doing the same task in a very old ArcGIS server web app
was much quicker (admittedly the data was in SDE/MS SQL).  So my question is
what is the best way to improve performance - would just transferring the
shapefile to to say a MS SQL 2005 db with the MSSQLSPATIAL add-on be a good
step or is there are better way to present the data in the Map file?
Many thanks
Chris