[mapserver-users] Mapserver tile generation - google maps

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Aug 24 09:59:32 EDT 2010

Hi Wim,

If your data is that dynamic then there is not much advantage in using tilecache. Perhaps there is not much advantage in making tiled requests either. Applications asking for 256x256 pixel sized tiles from on-demand bases are generating rather a lot of load for Mapserver. There is an advantage on the user side because tiles are cached on the client side and panning is fluent. However, the feeling is not necessarily bad even if the client is making single tile WMS requests. With OpenLayers single tile requests used together with "transition effect resize" is not bad at all. Perhaps Google maps and Bing have some similar modes. Rendering and labeling problems should go away by using single tiles.

-Jukka Rahkonen-