[mapserver-users] Using MapServer for Variable Data Printing

Jeff Harlow jharlow at wrightsmedia.com
Tue Aug 24 12:50:26 EDT 2010

Sorry if this has been asked. I do not recognize the user group system
used here and cannot figure out how to search.

I am looking for a way to create JPG or PNG files using variable data
that will be used in printing out postcards.  Check out
(http://www.variablemaps.com/) for an example.  We are an in-house print
shop, so I am looking to do this in-house as well (versus using someone
else's service).  Will MapServer/OpenMap provide me with a way in
connection with SQL Server 2008 to create on the fly images for variable
data maps?  If so, can you direct me to the how-to in order to get
started with this? If not, what should I be looking for that would do
the same?  I know Google has a service similar but we are looking at
well over a thousand maps that would be created for a particular
postcard and will continue throughout a specified time. Thanks.

Jeff Harlow

Network Administrator

Wright's Media

2407 Timberloch Pl. Ste. B