[mapserver-users] Mapserver query using database connection

Marcus the_incredibal at gmx.de
Fri Dec 10 05:35:38 EST 2010

Hello,

I am a cartography student from Germany und I am working on my diploma
thesis at the moment. My task is to plan and create a webservice application
for a transportation company and I decided to use the UMN Mapserver for the
implementation. The users should have the ability to query the objects, too.
As you probably know the query function of Mapserver allows to query the
attribute table or to join another table-file, but now there's my question:
Is it possible to create a query which directly connects to an existing
database via PHP and show the results in a query template? I have doubts
that this could work, cause the query function uses mapserver variables
which are converted into the strings or numbers like they are in the
attribute table by the Mapserver program and in my opinion a database won't
understand these variables. But may be you've heard of a possibility and I
would be glad if anyone could help me. Please keep in my mind that I have to
use a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 database and sqlserv as the "driver".

Thank you and best regards from Germany.

Marcus