[mapserver-users] PNG Optimization

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 09:09:06 EST 2010

Cedric,
Mapserver currently doesn't support png options, although this
souldn't be to difficult to add as a FORMATOPTION (at least for the
non GD renderers).
You should note that the quality of the compression you apply to pngs
has a non trivial effect on the overall rendering time, so we can't
just add maximum compression by default.

ps: you can see the effect of png compression schemes (on throughput
and image size) on this small benchmark I ran for mod-geacache. the
use case is the on the fly merging of two 256x256 png tiles:
http://mod-geocache.googlecode.com/svn-history/r69/trunk/static/benchmark.png

regards,
thomas