[mapserver-users] SQL equivalent for MapScript queryByRect

Shorthouse, David dshorthouse at eol.org
Mon Dec 20 10:01:50 EST 2010

Hello folks,

First, I'd like to say that I have been enjoying MapServer for many
years and really appreciate the work you guys put into it. I recently
got back into it in more earnest with a pet project for users to
produce print-quality, greyscale point maps...learned some new tricks.

Second, I have project that requires me to query either shapefiles or
spatially indexed tables and produce some simple web service
inquire if anyone knows how one would reproduce in spatial SQL the
exact equivalent of the PHP MapScript queryByShape? I'm starting to
get a mess of SQL with unexpected record sets and am nowhere further
ahead.

e.g. SELECT column FROM table WHERE (WITHIN(GEOMFROMTEXT('WKT'),
the_geom) OR (OVERLAPS(GEOMFROMTEXT('WKT'), the_geom)) etc.

Thanks for any insights,

David P. Shorthouse