[mapserver-users] Rendering bridges - SOLVED

tommasodb tommasodb at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 06:04:50 EST 2010

Hallo list,

> I don't believe this will get you the desired effect. You'll get the
> lines but you'll also get the line end caps.
Yes, this was the problem

>  >>thanks, but unfortunately the rendering of bridges are not
> configured there.
>
> OK, but you would do bridges similar to tunnels. So look at the
> tunnels and adjust your styling to match what you want.
>
> -Steve W
You are right! I did so and got the solution:

SYMBOL
    NAME bridge
    TYPE SIMPLE
END

STYLE
  WIDTH 29
  SYMBOL "bridge"
  OUTLINEWIDTH 1
  OUTLINECOLOR "#24277A"
END
  STYLE
  WIDTH 27
  COLOR 255 195 69
END

The trick was SYMBOL SIMPLE, which is not really documented on the
official docu (http://mapserver.org/mapfile/symbol.html):

> TYPE [vector|ellipse|pixmap|truetype|simple|cartoline|hatch]
>
>         * vector: a simple drawing is used to define the shape of the
>           symbol.
>         * ellipse: radius values in the x and y directions define an
>           ellipse.
>         * pixmap: a user supplied GIF image will be used as the symbol.
>         * truetype: TrueType font to use as defined in the FONTSET.
>         * cartoline: allows for different designs of line ends
>           (mitered, rounded, beveled). More information can be found
>           in the /Cartographic Symbols document/
>           <http://mapserver.org/mapfile/symbology/construction.html#sym-construction>.
>         * hatch: produces hatched lines throughout the shape.

Thanks!

Tom