[mapserver-users] RE: WMS BBOX tolerance out of this world?

Charlton Galvarino charlton at 2creek.com
Tue Feb 9 10:25:53 EST 2010

> My question is, does the WMS server need to support queries outside of
> these bounds?  E.g. for a dataset advertised as 4326 w/ bounds -180,-

According to the 1.1.1 spec . . .

========
If a request contains a Bounding Box whose area does not overlap at all with the BoundingBox advertised in the Capabilities XML for the requested geodata object, the server should return empty content (e.g., a blank map, empty coverage file, null feature set) for that element. Any elements that are partly or entirely contained in the Bounding Box should be returned in the appropriate format.

If the Bounding Box values are not defined for the given SRS (e.g., latitudes greater than 90 degrees in EPSG:4326), the server should return empty content for areas outside the valid range of the SRS.

========

Well, it sounds pretty clear then.  Return the data for the area that is defined.  Right?