[mapserver-users] Dynamically determining map size with map script?

Lisa Gaudette lgaudette at ehealthinformation.ca
Tue Feb 9 17:06:47 EST 2010

I am using C# MapScript to generate a series of map images representing
different Canadian provinces individually. I'd rather not have to fiddle
with each one to determine the right image size in pixels to get the desired
level of detail.

I'm thinking there must be some way to give it the shape files and something
like a desired scale and have it figure out the image size, but I don't see
how. I've tried seeing if I can just set SCALEDENOM without an image size
but that doesn't do it (and it's not really clear to me what it is supposed
to do).

An alternate approach would be to specify a maximum dimension and have it
determine the other, which would at least give me fewer things to fiddle
with; I get hung up there on the fact that the ratio of my map extents in
either m or lat/lon is definitely not the desired ratio of the projected
image in pixels, and I don't see a way to get from one to the other.