[mapserver-users] Problem with Russia polygon

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Sat Jan 2 09:50:13 EST 2010

On 12/30/2009 11:14 AM, Nelson Correia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m using shapefile world data from gadm.org (I’ve had this same problem
> with other data sources too) and I’m having a problem with the Russian
> polygon: mapserver draws some strange lines parallel to the equator,
> near the north pole (like you can see in the attached image).
>
> Anyone had the same problem and knows how to solve it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nelson

I have no idea if this is the same problem, but I have run into weird drawing problems before.  I import shape files into PostGIS and then use mapserver on that.  I got a polygon layer that had an unclosed line (I guess that is a good way to describe it).  It pissed off mapserver.  I could run sql like:

select gid from layer where not ST_IsClosed(the_geom)

and it would pull it up.  The people that sent me the layer swore there was nothing wrong with it (they didn't see any error).

I guess to make a long story short, do you have any editors (like qgis) that you can use to see/edit the layer and make sure  each record is valid?

-Andy