[mapserver-users] new query file format

Lime, Steve D (DNR) Steve.Lime at state.mn.us
Thu Jan 14 18:44:55 EST 2010

Hi Stepan: The query performance improvements for the database drivers come from referring to features within a result set as we process query results. Previously, we referred to features globally and that is terribly inefficient in some cases, and that's why the old query files stored global feature indexes. Under the new querying scheme this simply won't work without the underlying query result set. The new scheme stores information necessary to redo a query and nothing more.

How you might recreate the old approach with MapScript 5.6.1 depends on your data store. With shapefiles, the index values stored in a result cache are suitable for use msQueryByIndex() as is. With a database source you need to work with a primary key and are probably best off working through msQueryByAttribute() instead. Perhaps Paul Ramsey can comment on whether or not the overall row number is somehow retrievable from a query result so that msQueryByIndex() could indeed be used, I don't think it is. In either case you'd need to serialize/unserialize your result list or hash yourself, msSaveQuery()/msLoadQuery() doesn't do it for you.

Does this help?

Steve