[mapserver-users] Using Open street map tiles via GDAL_WMS

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Jul 9 14:02:15 EDT 2010

James,

   Did you find a solution to this problem?  I'd like to use OSM tiles in
Mapscript to create an image for server-side creation of large format PDFs for
printing, and found that mapserver+GDAL does not calculate the best TileLevel
based on the output extents and image size.

   For example, in my XML file I have:
         <TileLevel>15</TileLevel>

When using gdal_translate:

   gdal_translate -projwin  -12412016 7714617 -12384098 7693893 -outsize 1461
1084  frmt_wms_osm_tms.xml test.tif

GDAL requests Level 13 images, and produces a great looking image.  However
Mapserver's shp2img:

   shp2img -e -12412016 7693893 -12384098 7714617 -s 1461 1084 OSM.map -o test.png

requests Level 14 (too high a resolution); many more tiles are requested and
down-sampled, and the image is un-readable.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser