[mapserver-users] rendering difference between 5.6.3 and 5.6.4

Peter N. Schweitzer pschweitzer at usgs.gov
Tue Jul 13 10:01:06 EDT 2010

On 07/13/2010 09:46 AM, Christy Nieman wrote:
> I've just compiled mapserver 5.6.4 in an FGS enviromnment, and when I
> rendered a map I noticed that it was taking a very long time. Once the
> image was displayed, it seemed that the largest scale class for each
> layer had been used for a rather small scale map. I've attached a 5.6.3
> and 5.6.4 example of the same mapfile. Is there something that I haven't
> changed that's needed for 5.6.4? I recall reading that 5.6.4 wouldn't
> require any modifications for users?

I see a similar effect--it looks like mapserv 5.6.4 calculates scale
somewhat differently than 5.6.3 did, so that in order to get the same
effect, I needed to reduce the values of maxscaledenom and minscaledenom
by a factor of 10.  Now I must admit that in the digital context I don't
understand what scale really means, but I'm happy to find a value that
works and use it.  I was surprised to not see any mention of this in the
changelog from the 5.6.4 release.  Is this a side effect of something else?

Peter
--
Peter N. Schweitzer (MS 954, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 20192)
(703) 648-6533  FAX: (703) 648-6252  email: pschweitzer at usgs.gov
<http://geology.usgs.gov/peter/>